Savannah has been a desirable destination for both Southerners and those living across the United States for a long time, but for those living in the city, enjoying the surrounding area is just as nice. If you’re ready to venture out and experience the other areas Georgia has to offer, consider these day trips!
A quick half hour drive from Savannah, Tybee Island is one of the South’s favorite oceanfront towns complete with delicious seafood shacks, beautiful beaches, and outdoor activities to keep you entertained for hours.
Things to do:
- Visit the Tybee Lighthouse & Museum – Climb to the top of the Tybee Lighthouse (154 feet in height!) and enjoy 360-degree views of the island.
- Go on a bike tour – Fat Tire Bikes offers the best bike tours on the island! Experience the areas that cars and mopeds can’t go and bike along the shore with your family and friends.
- Visit the Tybee Marine Science Center – Visit the young loggerhead seat turtles and learn more about the Tybee Island Sea Turtle Project at the Tybee Marine Science Center! Admission is under $5 and it’s a fun way to spend the day.
Bluffton, South Carolina
Another relaxing area just a quick drive from Savannah, Bluffton is situated along the May River. From the seafood markets to oyster farms, the river is a large source of income for many of the local businesses. Throughout Bluffton, you will find boutiques selling goods by local makers, a small handful of small craft breweries, and several delicious restaurants.
Where to eat in Bluffton, SC:
- The Pearl Kitchen and Bar
- Fat Patties
- The Cottage
- May River Grill
Palmetto Bluff, South Carolina
The upscale community of Palmetto Bluff is situated the next town over from Bluffton and is situated among thousands of acres of wild forest. While most of the homes in Palmetto Bluff are home to year-round residents, there are a handful that are rented out!
Where to eat and drink in Palmetto Bluff:
- Buffalo’s – Featuring everything from market fresh salads and sandwiches to pastries, fresh spun ice cream, and a variety of signature cocktails.
- Fore & Aft – Serving casual, light fare for breakfast and lunch.
- Canteen – Enjoy an afternoon on the open-air porch with a glass of wine and one of the delicious homemade paninis, wraps, or salad that is on the menu.
- Cole’s – Offering regionally inspired Southern food in a casual setting and stunning marsh views.
- Octagon Bar & Lounge – Enjoy a classic cocktail with a creative twist or a local beer at the Octagon Bar and Lounge, which is indeed eight-sided.